The GOODF Approach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Virgin money locked my account fraud query
by daveiron Yesterday at 12:32 am

» large Solar storms heading to earth as we speak
by daveiron Yesterday at 12:16 am

» Astra Zeneca
by assassin Fri May 10, 2024 4:55 am

» At last.
by daveiron Thu May 09, 2024 6:53 am

» Know who you are
by LionsShare Wed May 08, 2024 1:24 pm

» hmrc bond
by LionsShare Tue May 07, 2024 9:56 am

» Chainsaws 1
by assassin Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 am

» Supply What Does It Mean?
by LionsShare Thu May 02, 2024 11:45 am

» Speed ticket Is This The Way To Go?
by flyingfish Wed May 01, 2024 10:11 pm

» DSAR
by brownowl Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:15 pm

» Council Tax questions we should all be asking
by LionsShare Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 am

» Whats In A Name?
by LionsShare Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 pm

» The infamous DP continus
by Biggiebest Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 pm

» Purchased Used car, thew con rod after 4 weeks, 40,000mi on clock, can we get out of the finance?
by assassin Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 am

» C'Tax & The Bradbury Pound System
by flyingfish Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 pm

» Warranty issues
by brownowl Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm

» Smart Meter and Pre Pay Meter remedy
by daveiron Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 am

» are they feeling the pinch...?
by pitano1 Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:19 pm

» Fruit
by assassin Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 am

» Are Lowell getting desperate ?
by waylander62 Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:08 pm

» Electric Vehicles
by assassin Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:57 am

» Water charges
by daveiron Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 am

» 20 mph speed limit enforcable????
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm

» Allotments
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 am

» Energy debt
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 am

» HO HO HO not that shinning or with clean hands !!!!!!
by Lopsum Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:04 pm

» Psychological Operation - Evidence on more fraud
by Lopsum Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:00 pm

» Allodial Title
by urchinatheart Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 am

» Grow Potatoes
by Mrblue2015 Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 am

» Feed Yourself For Less
by assassin Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 pm

» New GOODF - small account closed upon Notice 3
by RaspberryBlu Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm

» DWP
by daveiron Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am

» LGA1888 sect79 sub2
by urchinatheart Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am

» Know Who You Are Even More Volumes To Come
by LionsShare Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:24 am

» Woke, Nimbys, Snowflakes and idiots
by urchinatheart Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

» Never Buy Seeds Again
by assassin Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:14 pm

» Ovo bank giro?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:07 pm

» Is your car a government remote controled car???
by Lopsum Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:48 pm

» peacekeepers apprantly get a c'tax win?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:14 am

» Can I Complete The Food Circle
by urchinatheart Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am

» Council tax and summons for arrest
by LionsShare Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:44 pm

» THIS IS THE ONE ?
by schist Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 pm

» Garden Share
by assassin Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:37 pm

» Serial Posty been awarded £10'000 for a fake bite
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm

» The new ruling, lie-ability order
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:04 pm

by schist Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:00 pm

» DVLA [Hick] Does It Work [Hick] ?
by Miss Kermit Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

» know who you are volume ??
by daveiron Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm

» Hopefully A Success
by daveiron Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 pm

» Most Complete Bank Giro Credit
by LionsShare Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm

» Knowing our Lawful rights
by daveiron Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:05 am

» More Illegal Immigrants
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm

» SAR dispute
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 pm

» There goes Ireland, his off.
by midnight Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:07 pm

» Call to the DVLA
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:36 pm

Moon phases

statute barred dates and template letter please .

+5
handle
daveiron
waylander62
flyingfish
memegirl777
9 posters

Go down

statute barred dates and template letter please . Empty statute barred dates and template letter please .

Post by memegirl777 Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Hello guys ,
I have an alleged  debt which was a credit card , As I saw on another thread I checked the date of the closure of the account which was 24th July 2013 am I safe to send a letter stating statute barred after this date ?

I am also helping a friend who is in the exact same position only for around 10 times more value ,
his has fallen off his credit file and I guessed 27th May 2013  got him to check with bank and it is exactly the same date ,

so am I safe to tell the dca we are aware they are statute barred and as such unenforcable ?

If so  I have searched but can not find one , Is there a template letter on the forum for statute barred or will a basic one do the job?
thankyou in advance  Smile
memegirl777
memegirl777
Very helpful
Very helpful

Back to top Go down

statute barred dates and template letter please . Empty Re: statute barred dates and template letter please .

Post by flyingfish Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Assuming all this is in England then the debts are Statute Barred six years effective from the first date at which the creditor could have started legal action. So typically for a consumer credit debt it would be from the date on which they issued a Default Notice.  The time gets extended if the debtor makes any form of acknowledgement of the debt, or makes any payment.

For a debt which might become statute barred in a couple of weeks I would very much advise not rocking the boat.  Just check out the agreement and paperwork etc and don't contact the creditor.

flyingfish
dedicated
dedicated

assassin likes this post

Back to top Go down

statute barred dates and template letter please . Empty Re: statute barred dates and template letter please .

Post by memegirl777 Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Statute barred and delayed default
Post by waylander62 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 pm

if it still with the bank, you could go into the local branch and ask for information regarding this particular account, i did this myself. The local staff will have no clue about the default or anything but may be able to give you a statement as to when the account was closed.

if last payment was definitely 2012 then it should not have been registered as a default in 2017 that is unfair.

The above is why we found out the dates ,
we are actively being chased for these alleged debts hence wanting to take action ,
I would rather be proactive than wait until a court claim is started.
no payments or acknowledgements have been made to either.
memegirl777
memegirl777
Very helpful
Very helpful

Back to top Go down

Post by waylander62 Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 am

If you are confident that it is statute barred then you could write to the DCA and point out this fact,

if they believe that it isnt statute barred they will reply telling you so and often give reasons why they believe it is not SB, then you can check out what they are saying ready for if they do take it to court.

the important part of this is a copy of the default notice and the date on that to rectify the default.

waylander62
dedicated
dedicated

assassin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by memegirl777 Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:03 am

So I,m better sending an SAR to the card companies first get the default notice THEN send the letter to the DCA wAYLANDER62 to be completely covered,
memegirl777
memegirl777
Very helpful
Very helpful

assassin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by daveiron Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am

Hi ,All I would add to the above is, still always refer to this as alleged debt .& their assumptions.
Dont get tripped up at this late stage by anything that could be construded as an admission .
daveiron
daveiron
Admin
Admin

assassin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by waylander62 Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:23 pm

yes always alleged,

a SAR is good and should reveal the default notice, HOWEVER if you have been making payments after default then statute barred will not be a valid argument and i would suggest looking at alternative arguments.

it depends on what has happened really, an IVA? a DMP? or a token payment each month.

tread warily initially

waylander62
dedicated
dedicated

assassin likes this post

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by scrwm Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:42 pm

This is interesting. I have one of these too. A Cabbages chasing me for about 1200 quid, no payments made on last 7 years. NO contact made in last 7 years too from my side although they have tried to elicit a response form me all along...

should i write to the DCA and get them to remove this record?

scrwm
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by daveiron Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Personally i would send a SAR,just to give peace of mind and know all they
have.
By ignoring everything ,its possible they may think you have moved and you
may get a suprise through the letter box in the form of a court claim ,in the
hope you have moved and this is just your last known address. Then you will
have all the agro of defending a claim even if its statute barred .
daveiron
daveiron
Admin
Admin

assassin and Mrblue2015 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:20 am

https://nationaldebtadvice.org.uk/blog/statute-barred-debt-uk/

This includes templates...

Statute Barred Debt UK

Do you have an old debt that you haven’t made payments to in a long time? Has it been a while since you last heard from your creditors and you’re wondering if you still have to pay them off? If so, then the statute barred rule may be of interest to you.

Statute barred debt in the UK is not something a lot of people are familiar with. It is something that the finance companies try to keep a lid on it because it can effectively see them lose out on substantial sums of money.

It’s all to do with a little-known law called the Limitation Act 1980. Having said this, it is not advisable to try and use the Limitation Act as an excuse to dodge paying your debts. Regardless of whether it has been a while since you last heard from your creditors, you still signed a legally binding contract when you applied for it and the debt is still there.

But what is statute barred debt and how is it relevant to your situation?
What is Statute Barred?

Let’s start with what is statute barred debt? Essentially, the Limitation Act gives a creditor a set amount of time to recover a debt. If they do not do take you to court within this time period the debt is said to be unenforceable. This is because the law does not considered it fair for the creditor to wait years before chasing a debt.

This will only apply if you are not making payments towards the debt and neither party have been in contact for a fixed amount of time. If you are making payments towards a debt through something like Debt Management Plans, however small, it will never become statute barred.

There are two different time frames that apply dependent upon the type of debt that you have. If you have unsecured debt such as loans, credit cards and home shopping catalogues then your creditors have six years to chase you. If you have secured loans or a mortgage then the time scale is much larger at twelve years.

The limitation period begins with either the last time you made a payment or the last time the debt was acknowledged. Scotland have a slight variation on this whereby creditors are only allowed to chase the debt for five years.

If your creditors do not start court proceedings within these time scales the debt is said to be ‘statute barred’ and they cannot enforce the debt.
How Do I Know if My Debt is Statute Barred?

There are a few exceptions to this rule and certain criteria have to be met. If you are wondering, ‘How do I know if my debt is statute barred?’ then read on. Statute barred debt in the UK can make use of the Limitations Act if:

You, or if you have a joint debt, the other person, have not made a payment for six or twelve years.
   You have not acknowledged the debt in writing in the last six or twelve years.
   The creditor has not taken a County Court Judgement (CCJ) out against you to try and recover the debt.

All three of these criteria have to apply if you are going to use the Limitations Act as a way of not paying your debt. Take a look at our debt terms glossary to find out more about all the common jargon. However, this does not mean that the creditors can stop chasing you for the debt. After the six or twelve years has expired the debt is not written off, it is still there, it is just not enforceable any more. What matters is whether you have acknowledged it.

If your creditors have written to you or discussed it with you on the phone you can still claim the debt to be statute barred. It is acknowledging it by form of payment or writing where a statute barred ruling could not be enforced.

There are one or two other situations where the Limitations Act cannot be used:

County Court Judgements (CCJs) - cannot be dispelled under the Limitations Act. The only exception to this is if the CCJ was issued after the six years have elapsed. In that case you can ask the court to dismiss it.
   Income Tax and VAT - HM Revenue and Customs are not bound by time limits and can pursue you for outstanding contributions indefinitely.
   Benefit Overpayments - The Department of Work and Pensions have the power to deduct your arrears from your current benefits and do not have to go to court to do this.

How Long Before a Debt is Written off in UK?

The Limitations Act clearly states how long it before a debt can be written off in the UK. It is usually six years for unsecured debts such as credit cards and loans, and twelve years for secured loans and mortgages. The important thing for you is to not have acknowledged the debt in written form or by making any kind of payment. Even token payments of £1 are acknowledging that the debt exists, as is applying for PPI refunds on the account (You can apply for PPI once a statute barred has been fully confirmed). If you do want to pay off the debt and possible have a proportion written off, try an IVA as this is one popular solution.

The unique thing with statute barred debt in the UK is that once a debt is disputed it is not up to you to provide proof - that responsibility falls onto your creditors. If you are uncertain as to whether your debt is statute barred or not, you can write to them asking them to prove otherwise. If you are doing this it is essential that you do not acknowledge the debt. Send the letter by recorded delivery so that there is a traceable account of you having sent it. Also, make a duplicate and keep a copy for yourself. Do not include your telephone number as you are just giving the creditors another way to contact you. Keep it simple and just conduct the exchange via post.

Below is a template of a letter that you could send to the creditors:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Account number/Reference number

I write to you regarding a letter concerning the above account that you sent me dated (dd/mm/yy). I enclose a copy of said letter for your convenience.

I must inform you that I do not acknowledge the debt. If you believe that a valid debt exists and that the Debtor resides at this address, please provide proof of your claims in writing.

The Financial Conduct Authority rules clearly state that until such time that you are able to provide this evidence you are barred from using any further collection methods.

Yours faithfully,

(your name)

If the creditors write to you and you are 100% certain that your debt is statute barred, you can write them a different letter to inform them of this. Again, make sure that it is sent via registered post and that you keep a copy for yourself. Use the template below as a guide to help you:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Account number/Reference number

I write to you regarding a letter concerning the above account that you sent me dated (dd/mm/yy). I enclose a copy of said letter for your convenience.

I must inform you that I do not acknowledge the debt. I also draw to your attention to the fact that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5, the debt is considered to be statute barred and is therefore unenforceable.

The Financial Conduct Authority rule 7.15.4 clearly states, ‘notwithstanding that a debt may be recoverable, a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period’.

The Financial Conduct Authority rule 7.15.8 clearly states, ‘a firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred’.

Please do not contact me again unless you can provide me with clear written evidence, such as a credit agreement signed by myself, or written acknowledgement of the debt from myself from within the past six years.

I now consider this matter closed. However, if I should continue to receive demands for payment I shall have no choice but to report you to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Yours faithfully,

(your name)
How Long Before a Debt is Uncollectible in UK?

Let’s touch upon how long it is before a debt is deemed uncollectable in the UK. As we know, creditors have six years to claim unsecured debts such as credit cards, store cards, catalogues and personal loans. If you have not entered into any repayment schemes such as consolidating loans you could be eligible. For secured loans and mortgages this is extended to twelve years. However, many lenders follow the old Council for Mortgage Lenders Code which has been absorbed into its current day iteration of the Mortgage Conduct of Business Rules. This code states that:

‘Anyone whose property was taken into possession and sold more than six years ago, and who has not been contacted by their lender for recovery of their outstanding debt, will not now be asked to pay the shortfall.’

Another thing to consider is the ‘ticking clock’. Your six year window for statute barred debt in the UK starts from the day that you last made a payment or acknowledged that the debt existed. It doesn’t matter if your debt is sold to another company, the time frame remains the same. The ‘ticking clock’ does not reset, it simply carries on until the six years have elapsed.
Statute of Limitations UK Debt

The statute of limitations should not be abused to solve UK debt. It is highly unlikely that creditors will forget about money that is owed to them for so long. Your debt may be sold to another company, and while the six year clock may still be ticking, the chances are that if a company has bought your debt they are more inclined to look into it to satisfy their investment. For this very reason it is not uncommon for you to receive a letter chasing a debt after five years of silence. Check out the Pareto IVA FAQ to find out more about this solution if you want to deal with debts.

If the statute barred limitation expires and your creditors cannot legally chase you for the debts then you have to see it as a stroke of luck. You must not ignore debts in the hope that the statute of limitations law will save you. A financial responsibility is a legally binding contract and you must do your best to honour that contract.

Last edited by Lopsum on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

https://goodf.forumotion.com

daveiron and Mrblue2015 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:21 am

go from the date of last payment and ask them to prove otherwise! Not the default notice , just in case.(in my mind that would be incorrect as it gives them control over when the debt is statute bared , they have no control over it.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

https://goodf.forumotion.com

daveiron and Mrblue2015 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingfish Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:27 am

Although I agree it would be equivalent to abuse of process for a creditor to unreasonably delay issuing a Default Notice, this is actually covered in the legislation and in case law. The Limitation Act states ..
5 Time limit for actions founded on simple contract.
An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.
It seems clear that the "cause of action" can't always arise on the date of the last payment, but would have to at least wait until the date of the first missed payment. However for agreements falling under the CCA it is mandatory for the creditor to issue a Default Notice and for it to expire before they can raise proceedings. The arguments are made here, but if anyone knows later case law then please let us know ..
Doyle v PRA 2019

So I'd suggest a middle ground, only assume it starts earlier than expiry of the DN if you feel the issue of the DN was unreasonably delayed.  And in that case work from when a DN could have been raised if the creditor had not been negligent. And be prepared to argue the case, as the creditor may be relying on Doyle v PRA.

And be careful when raising the issue, jumping the gun and when the alleged debt would not yet be SB could itself comprise acknowledgement of the debt, and it would be tragic to do so at this late stage.

flyingfish
dedicated
dedicated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrblue2015 Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:16 pm

Thanks Lopsum
Mrblue2015
Mrblue2015

Back to top Go down

Post by tattyboggle Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:57 pm

It seems that creditors are sending out default notices every 6 months so I presume SB still applies from the first default notice?

tattyboggle
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingfish Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:31 pm

tattyboggle wrote:It seems that creditors are sending out default notices every 6 months so I presume SB still applies from the first default notice?
Yes, they can't reset the SB clock by sending what is effectively a reminder.

flyingfish
dedicated
dedicated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrblue2015 Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:46 pm

flyingfish wrote:
tattyboggle wrote:It seems that creditors are sending out default notices every 6 months so I presume SB still applies from the first default notice?
Yes, they can't reset the SB clock by sending what is effectively a reminder.

I very much doubt that. If you keep / kept the first default notice you ever received, you have evidence in terms of the expiration date* on that default notice as the start of the Statute Barred ‘clock’.

*The default notice will say something like "...To remedy the breach you must pay a total of "£xxx.xx before 01 April 2023".

As such, the expiry date is 01 April 2023.

Last edited by Mrblue2015 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrblue2015
Mrblue2015

daveiron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scrwm Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:40 pm

Some feedback on my post, 2 years later, I now have the fake record removed from my credit record. I was successful in getting transunion to removed ti as it was in fact state barred. That hasnt stopped some new becoming my penpal, I just bin their letters.

scrwm wrote:This is interesting. I have one of these too. A Cabbages chasing me for about 1200 quid, no payments made on last 7 years. NO contact made in last 7 years too from my side although they have tried to elicit a response form me all along...

should i write to the DCA and get them to remove this record?

scrwm
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrblue2015 Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:52 pm

If you want to stop the letters once and for all, threaten them by quoting the FCA. I did that with an in-house solicitor once (they are basically glorified DCAs) and they gave up after only two of my letters
Mrblue2015
Mrblue2015

daveiron, memegirl777, scrwm and Mobo like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down